Colour Has No Gender - 1st Editorial Shoot

Recently I was given my first editorial shoot with London College of Style, the brief was 'Colour has no Gender.'  Some of the key colour trends for the past couple of seasons have been Pink and Red.  So based on these two trends our group was split, one half styled womenswear around the colour Red and the other half styled menswear around the colour Pink.

I was given Pink Menswear!  My first thoughts were this was going to be a challenge. With my background mainly based in womenswear, I was looking forward to dressing men for a change but slightly apprehensive especially given the brief.  Fortunately I love Pink!

Whilst a buyer at Jane Norman I ran the knitwear department so I made my mind up that my chosen outfit would have to be based around a jumper and decided to go for a casual look with an edge.  The Sibling collection for Autumn/Winter 2015 inspired the choice of runway looks which appear on my mood board.  I love the playful twist on classic knitwear the bold hues of pink and the deconstruction of sweaters and wanted to recreate this rebellious stance for my own take on Pink Menswear.

To add even more contrast to the brief our location was given at the last minute so we really had to think on our feet.  Where else could Pink Menswear look even more out of place but the historic town  of Eton lying on the opposite bank of the River Thames to Windsor and best known as home to the famous public school Eton College.






I had to create a digital mood board to discuss the direction of my brief referencing editorial works and runway looks,  I liked the use of pink demonstrated visually such as a neon light a hand gesture to the head 'think pink' whilst wearing a pink baseball cap.  The use of spray paint on the body and hair to reference pink all simple connotations to inspire the story I am telling.






I found the jumper I wanted to deconstruct from a vintage store in Brick Lane called Blitz and customised.  Firstly I added a silver netted mesh fabric to the diamond jacquard design on the sweater to give some interest and then cut holes which I fixed with the sewing machine first to give the jumper an already worn feel.  Then opened up the sides and neck so that it wasn't so fitted.  Next, came the fun part of attaching loose bits of wool and ripped silk organza strips to reflect the light and give depth to an already vibrant piece.  I found some old Levi Jeans from 'Blitz' which I ripped and some black Converse boots which I painted with white acrylic and then spray painted pink to complete my neon look and Voila!



'Blitz' Karen Scott Jumper


'Blitz' Karen Scott Jumper and Levi Jeans



Converse Boots


Whilst in Eton shooting it occurred to me how important contrasting back grounds are in getting the right photo, something which are photographer Jamie Kendrick knew instantly when looking at the outfit and relating to the story on the mood board.  With so many different types of shops, door ways and walk ways along Eton high street we were able to capture some very interesting shots which I look forward to showing in a later blog as part of my portfolio.  In the meantime some very amateur shots taken by me to post for now.

I hope you like, until next time........






















Comments

Popular Posts